Friday, October 15, 2010

Old dog/ New tricks?

My  mom, also a teacher, called me this morning.  To help her students grasp integers per their request she is going to rap.  My mother is a veteran teacher who is closer to retirement than I am and definitely was not a part of the "rap movement."  (I remember hiding my Vanilla Ice and Snoop Dogg cassette tapes from her.)  She asked my younger brother and myself for tips.  My father "dropped some rhymes" so the concept would make sense and match a beat.  She's nervous, but I think that's great she's still willing to go out of her comfort zone to help her students grasp concepts. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? 

She texted me this picture. I think she rocks (the sleeves are from a Halloween store, my mom is hard core, but not THAT hard core).  The kids went crazy!  She invited another math class in as well.  By the end of the class the students were singing the rap and knew the steps to solve integers.  Her English classes are jealous...so the brainstorming starts again!

What ways do you reach out of your comfort zone to help students reach understanding?

Do you have a new or creative way to teach concepts? Please Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment