Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Memorization Techniques

My beginning students have been working 2 weeks on a monologue assignment.  They chose a monologue out of our text book, completed basic analysis information of the scene, and completed an in depth character analysis. They even started basic script scoring and starting to understand beats. They are having difficulties getting their text memorized.  I think they think there is a quick fix, but unfortunately with memorization the time and effort have to be put in for the memorization to actually happen.

I gave them the best memorization technique one of my professors gave me in college.

Write the monologue out using only the first letter of each word, including capitalization and punctuation.

So, if I were to write the previous two sentences of this post it would look like this:

I g t t b m t o o m p g m i c.
W t m o u o t f l o e w, i c a p.

Looks like a code, but actually it works. A majority of my students were close to being off book today after applying this technique.  Others only needed the letter paper. I told the students it was a process: from script to letters, from letters to memory!

What is a memorization technique you use to help students memorize lines or presentations?

No comments:

Post a Comment